Sunday, December 1, 2013

Advent 101

I don't know why I am surprised by the fact that it's December 1st.  Christmas commercials have been on TV since the middle of October.  It is unfortunate, but I feel society has taken Christ out of Christmas.  When was the last time you saw a Christmas  commercial that actually has something to do with Christ?  Have you ever seen a Christmas commercial that had something to do with Christ?  I didn't think so.


 Since becoming a Christian, Christmas has taken on a far greater meaning to me and  my family.  Christmas is not just a day of presents, tinsel, and trees.  I am not worried about the biggest sale or the best bargain.  Somethings are just more important.  I have made it a point to constantly remind my children that Christmas is the the day we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  It is not just the day we get presents.

Today is  the first day of Advent, a Christian season of preparation and anticipation of Christ’s birth. Advent is celebrated prior to Christmas day, most notably once a week, on Sunday.  Each week, one of four candles  is lit on and Advent wreath.  The lighting of each candles symbolize, expectation, hope, joy, and purity.   

Our family has chosen to celebrate Advent each of the 24 days leading up until Christmas.  There are many ways in which your family can embrace the season of Advent.  One was is reading daily scripture.  Since I homeschool my children, my girls and I start the day off by reading scripture.  Other ways to celebrate Advent are spending time with your family, serving your community, making holiday crafts, baking and sharing cookies, or even singing Christmas carols to seniors in your community.

Christmas is a season of giving.  God gave His only son to an undeserving world.  Advent is a season when we begin to prepare our hearts for the coming of Christ.  There is no better way to get in the Christmas spirit than to give of ourselves.  Instead of showering children with the latest toys, newest, biggest, and best of everything, teach them the true meaning of the season.  Put Christ back in Christmas, let Him live in your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment