Sunday, December 22, 2013

Age Doesn't Matter……That Much

In a little over 2 weeks I will be 45 years old.  Every time I think about the fact that I am only 5 years away from 50 it seems utterly impossible.  Some friends, and even family, have commented that I must be crazy to even think about adopting another child, number three.  I completely disagree because I don't feel that "old" and, thankfully I don't think I look it either.

I have been blessed to have been given a fresh start in life.  When I was in my mid 30's my life started a new.  The changes in my life were significant, I became a new person, body and soul.  There were two significant events which changed my life forever: the first was my marriage to my husband Claus, second was giving my life to my savior Jesus Christ.  So, by the grace of God, I was reborn when I was 36.  I really can't be that old.

As I look back over my life, most of my 20's and early 30's were difficult.  I was unhappy, in a very difficult marriage, and I struggled to put on a happy face for the world.  Ten and a half years of a bad relationship took its toll.  I felt old at 30.  I was tired, beat down, and more sad that I ever thought I could be.  Finally, my oldest daughter, gave me the strength I did not have, to leave a life that was slowing killing me.  I will be forever grateful for the insight of a then 4 year old.

Flash forward  to 2013, my life has completely changed.  I am happily re-married, with 2 beautiful girls.  If God is willing, we will welcome another daughter into our home some time in 2014.  I could never have imagined that my life could be so joy filled.  I am happier now than when I was 24 years old.  It is hard to imagine that I can be 20 years older and actually feel younger, happier, more full of life and more full of love.


I feel fortunate that I have never fretted over the milestone birthdays.  Forty wasn't bad so I am guessing that 45 won't be that bad either.  The only time I have ever really worried about about my age is when I was been called "Grandma" by a clueless cashier, while out shopping with my youngest daughter Paige.  I get that she is only by 5 but come on, I don't have that many wrinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment