Monday, November 4, 2013

Open Windows

How many times have you heard the expression: "When God closes a door, He opens a window." ?  Have you every put any thought into that statement?  For those of us who are Christ followers that statement may come to fruition more often than not.  For some, who live a charmed life, "you" may have  been lucky enough to have not had to think too much about closing doors or open windows.

In the past 5 years, God has opened many windows in my life.  Sometimes I have looked upon these events affectionally, and  even joked that God has a great sense of humor.  Other times, circumstances have been less obvious.  Closing doors, and change were difficult and I did not immediately see the lesson God had laid out before me.

As I sat having lunch today, I thought about the many changes I have been through in the past several year.  The biggest life lesson I can think of was when my husband and I decided that we were going to try and adopt special needs, teen girl.  We had always wanted a second child, and felt strongly this you girl was meant to be part of our family.  Well, God had other plans, instead if adopting a special needs,14 year old, we were blessed with a 14 month old, baby girl.  We would later find out she also has special needs.

The next big change in life was our move to NC.  For most of my adult life, I had longed to find members of my biological family.  Finally at the age of 41, I was blessed to find, my brother, grandfather, aunt, uncles, and cousins.  After learning that my brother lived in NC my family decided that we would visit and have our families meet.  Our first meeting went well, my dreams had truly come true.  For the next year, I communicated with my brother and his family by phone and computer and all went well.

It had been my dream to move to NC so I could be near the brother that I did not grow up with.  As an only child, I had always longed for the closeness of a sibling.  Dreams do come true and we moved to NC, 5 miles from my brother’s home.  At that time I did not think that life could get much better.  As with many things in life, good things do not last.  Much like fall fading into winter, my relationship with my brother became less warm and more distant.  Today we have a cordial relationship, but it is nothing like what I had hoped for all those years ago.

I did not realize what a difficult transition life in NC would be.  Having my dream of family rejected, and struggling to make friends instead of acquaintances, I felt lost.  If it weren't for my faith and my family, things would have been miserable.  Thankfully, God stepped in and opened another window.  As time passed our faith grew stronger because of our new church and wonderful Pastor.    

Today, was a really good day.  God was all over the place! I had lunch with the angel God placed in my life, 2 short weeks ago. He knew that connecting with other women, and developing strong friendships had been something that I have struggled with since moving to NC.  


There have been times when I thought I had made a good friend and I was wrong. I had begun to feel that I was looking for something that was unrealistic or didn't exist and then it happened!  My phone rang and on the line was some different.  I would learn that my friend is caring, lovely, compassionate, kind, and would do anything for anyone, no questions asked.  She is a breath of fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment