Thursday, October 24, 2013

Seasons Change

For the first time, after a long hot summer, I woke up to a chill in the air.  I am a former northerner, living in the south, the start of fall is up for debate.  October is nearly over and I have rarely put on a jacket or even worn long sleeves.  The leaves seemed to have changed color over night.  They have gone from a vibrant green to sort of a dried up brownish, orange.

Needless to say when I awoke to a thermometer that read somewhere in the low 50's I was thrilled.  Then, I immediately said to my husband:  "I'm freezing, turn the heat on!"  Something tells me that my northern roots are becoming shorter and shorter as the years pass.  After I adjusted to initial chill, a familiar fall feeling came over me.  It could only mean one thing…..it's time to start baking.

My girls and I had a great school day.  I wish that we had taken advantage of the beautiful afternoon.  Fall also means holiday crafts but that's another blog for another day.  As the school day ended my husband asked what I had planned for dinner.  "Hmmm" was really all I could say.  To be honest I had not though about dinner, only baking.

So as walked the path from our little "homeschool/office" back to our house I decided what I would bake….muffins!  I had been craving pumpkin muffins all day.  It was settled, out came the muffin pans, flour, and spices.  In no time at all I had made a mess of my kitchen.  And then a voice from across the kitchen called out:  "Momma, can you make double chocolate chip muffins?"  "Why not", I thought to myself , the kitchen is already a mess.

So as I sit here and write the house smells wonderful.  The kitchen is cleaned and the muffins are calling out to me to be eaten.  If the the local weather man is correct we will have another cold morning tomorrow.  Anticipating the chill in the air, I have a batch of pumpkin spice, overnight, crock pot oatmeal cooking for the morning.  It's going to be good, I can't wait.


Nothing inspires me more to bake and cook than the chilly temperatures of the fall and winter.  There is something comforting about warm houses and chilly temperatures, as we prepare for the coming Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.  I enjoy having the opportunity to show my love for friends and family through hospitality.   At different points in Jesus' life, he encountered the kindness of strangers.  I hope that my passion for hospitality comes through in my baking and cooking.  My door is always open, I am always ready to set another plate at the table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment