Monday, November 25, 2013

Living Simply or Simply Living

For the first time, in what seems like months, I feel relaxed, truly relaxed.  The past 3 months have been busy with homeschooling, dance, co-ops, "mothers" meetings, and a bout with a serious illness.  Throw in the day to day responsibilities of maintaining a large house, laundry, cooking, doctors appointments, 3 spoiled dogs, and being a referee for 2 beautiful girls, life is crazy.

Like millions of other families, living the American dream, we have more than our fair share of blessings.  We have a large, beautiful home, with an even larger yard.  Our cars shine brightly, including my husband’s green and yellow lawn tractor. We see that our children want for nothing.  Even our dogs are spoiled, each with a comfy bed and sweater to wear in the cold weather. 

As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes I feel overwhelmed.  My dream house is sometimes too big.  There are not enough hours in the day to keep 3 bathrooms clean.  How many times in one day can I pick up the endless trail of toys from my youngest daughter’s bedroom to the downstairs family room floor.  I won’t even get started on the laundry because I am the person who does the clothes shopping.

So with all of this stress talk how can I possibly feel relaxed?  Earlier this year my husband and I bought an unassuming, retirement home. Despite have 2 growing girls and 3 spoiled dogs we bought a SMALL 2 bedroom, 1 bath cottage.  Quaint and cozy describes our new piece of paradise.  This house could not be more different than our oversized, “everyday” home.  I could not be more happy.

The minute I walk through our little cottage’s front door I feel different.  In this small space my cares are few and my time is devoted to my family.  We have a fraction of the “stuff” which we have in our “everyday” life.  Less house equals, less stuff, equals, less stress, equals more happy equals JOY!  We get by with the basics.  


While we are “living” in our cottage I often wonder why we need the things and the space we use 300 days of the year.  I have a sense of contentment.  Could we live like this all the time?  God has truly blessed our family.  We have are happy, healthy, and have more than we could ever want or need.  When life gets crazy I tend to forget the simple things in life, I need to stop and count my blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment