Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Simple Words Of Wisdom

It has been about 15 years since the death of my grandfather.  Not a day goes by when I don't think about my Pop, AKA Papa Fritz.  I was blessed to have my maternal grandparents in my life into my early 30's.  One of the memories I miss most about my Papa is the long talks we used to have around his kitchen table.  My Pop was a quiet man, but when we sat down at that table we could talk for hours.

Many of the conversations I had with my Pop could have been world history lessons.  As a young man, my pop travelled the world as a merchant marine.  Pop lived through 2 world wars, lived on two continents, and was the smartest man I ever knew.  My life was shaped by my beloved Papa.  He imparted in me, important words of wisdom that  I still try to live by today.

One of the most important lessons my grandfather ever taught me was:  "Don't EVER trust anyone who doesn't like animals, especially dogs".  At the time I did't think much about his comment because I was young.  As I  became older, this sentiment has taken on far greater meaning.  It is, or has been, the criteria for which I have chosen friends, purchased products I use, and when I was younger determined where I lived.

Lately, I have thought more about my Papa's simple words.  I wonder what our world would be like if all people used this advice as a tool for measuring character?  We live in a world where politicians, dominant the news for poor behavior, inside and outside the political office.  We live in a world where young adults playing the "knock out game" make the national nightly news.  We live in a world where apathy flows through our society like the Mississippi River.

Imagine now a world in which one's character was measured by the compassion and affection one felt for animals. Now think about those people who don’t have compassion or affection for animals.    Which group of people do you think would be more inclined to work for a community instead of fighting for the prestige of political office?  Think of impressionable adolescents, who had genuine compassion and affection for animals, would they be on the streets inflicting pain and suffering on complete strangers?  Would rampant apathy exist if "we" as a society learned to care for someone or something other than oneself?

My Papa did not hold prestigious degrees or go to expensive universities, and yet he gave me a priceless education.  My Papa was a simple man, he loved his family, he loved his animals, and he was happiest at home on his farm.  As I look back over my life,  Pop's advice always kept my life on the right path .   When I have lost sight of Pop's advice, I usually lost sight of my self and the way I was meant to live.


So, as I look ahead to the new year, I am confident in new beginnings.  I know that January 1st has come and gone but I think that there's still time for one more resolution/declaration.  This year will be like no other.  Bigger and better things are on the horizon: with the words of my Papa, prays to my Heavenly Father, and heeding, the advice of a Northerner, former southern bell, I know this is going to be the best year ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment