Sunday, January 5, 2014

Just Your Average Joe

Today was the last day of our winter vacation.  I can say with all honesty that we had a really great time off.  We ended our vacation on a perfect note.  It was just the four of us, hanging out in our PJ's all day, recovering from the whirl wind of the past few weeks.  I had high hopes for today, but after I awoke with a migraine, I knew we needed a quiet day.

As a homeschooling mom, I decide when we take our vacations and when we start and end school the year.  We always start the school year early so we can have a long winter break.  By the time January 2nd rolls around I am ready to get back to our routine.  I know that tomorrow morning will be filled with complaints from my eldest daughter who won't want to get up early.  In contrast my youngest daughter will be up before the sun, ready to face the day.

As we all sat around the dinner table today I realized once again how truly blessed I am.  I live in a country where I can freely homeschool my children.  My husband has the ability to work from home so most  days we are able to have lunch and dinner together as a family.  Unlike public schools, Christ is the foundation of our curriculum.   As Christians, we strive to live a Christ centered life.  My husband and I hope we are instilling the values Christ lived by, in our children.

If you happened to see our family while we were out on our winter break; we would be that completely normal, boring family walking through the mall.  Not much about us makes us stand out.  We are nothing like any of those families you might see on reality TV.  We are not like any on the modern families you see on network TV.  We are just your average "Joe's".


I am proud to be an "average Joe" kind of family.  The world is full people seeking the lime-light.  People seeking notoriety at any cost, people who are famous because of their last name.  In my opinion, the world would be a better place if we had more "average Joe's".  If we returned to a time when family mattered and Christ was not being pushed out of our society.   Our society needs to slow down turn its focus inward, back to family and Christ.  Everything else is just over-rated.

No comments:

Post a Comment