Sunday, February 2, 2014

How Many Villages Does It Take?

I will preface my blog by stating that I am a conservative, Christian, whose political views swing to the right.  With that said, on some levels I believe in Hillary Clinton's philosophy that it takes a village to  raise a child.  Here’s where my beliefs and Mrs. Clinton's differ; I believe that a community, such as a church community is essential to the life of a family.

Today, my girls and I attended our first service, at what I hope will be our new home church.  For the first time in several months I feel settled, as if I have walked into a familiar place.  Prior to attending our first service, we had the opportunity to meet with the youth pastor.  He, like myself and family, is a transplant to NC.  In fact, the pastor mentioned that because we are in Raleigh many of the church families are transplants.

Living in NC the past 2 1/2 years has not been easy.  As much as we love the family life we have established here, and in SC, things haven’t always been easy.  I fell in love with the stereotype of what life in the south could be like.  I thought because I had crossed the imaginary north/south line that life would be different.  I thought that life would automatically be slower, kinder,  more gentle, and easier.  How wrong I was.

Today, was a day of positive change.  It’s the first day of our new life in the south.  It is unfortunate that my husband had to cross that imaginary line and drive up north, back to CT.   Our new church feels like the church we left behind in CT.  We were met with warm welcoming faces from time of arrival in the parking lot until we left "kids church".

I feel confident saying that our new church is a wonderful place.  It will be the place that my youngest daughter will grow through the help of the special needs ministry.  We will all have the benefit of meeting and connecting with other families through small groups, in members homes.  God's timing was perfect, words that I needed to hear were spoken in my Sunday school class.  Lastly, my teenage daughter even left the church with a smile!


Living away 12 hours away from family is not always easy.  Having a caring community of friends is a treasure that is not easily found.  I am an idealist and a Christian, I have been told for far to long that my ideals are too lofty.  There are Christians who are willing to be part of an extended family, willing to lend an ear or a hand, willing to clean a toilet,  as my wonderful friend Mari once did.  We need to open ourselves up and start building villages


No comments:

Post a Comment