Saturday, September 21, 2013

“I Am, I Can, I Ought, I Will”


“I Am, I Can, I Ought, I Will”.  Simple words penned by an amazing woman.  Where has Charlotte Mason been our entire homeschooling life?  Eight simple words I have come to cherish, for myself and my family.  For those of you who may not know Miss Mason, she was the woman credited with founding the homeschool movement, in England, at the turn of the 20 century.
This summer made the decision to return to the basics of home education because of the many difficulties my youngest daughter faces.  Paige, who is adopted, has had severe challenges since birth.  She is extremely smart, but plagued by ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorder, OCD, Anxiety, and now potentially a mood disorder.  CM seemed to be the obvious selection for both of my girls.
As the girls have gotten deeper into the CM routine,  they are learning that CM is more than a curriculum.  CM is a way of life.  Miss Mason’s principle’s are grounded in faith, family, and a responsibility to self.  CM instills in children a work ethic that is missing in today’s society.  Children are taught values and respect, qualities that are rarely seen in so many young people.
I feel that I am learning as much as my girls.  When I  see Miss Mason’s words:  ”I Am, I Can, I Ought, I Will”, I think about the things God has intended for me.  God does not give us challenges that we can not handle.  Lately, there have been days where there have been more tears and tantrums than laughter.  Days when we don’t know what the doctor will say about our youngest daughter.  Weeks when I don’t know if I am on the right path.
When those days rear their ugly head I think, ”I Am, I Can, I Ought, I Will”.  If Miss Mason felt strongly enough to give these words of encouragement, to children, I certainly can follow them as a 21st century mom.  Thank you Miss Mason for opening our eyes to a whole new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment