Monday, August 19, 2013

Greener Grass


I have spent a good deal of my life wishing for something that I did not have.  As a culture we always seem to want bigger, better, faster, prettier.  As a Mom I have longed for what the "Jones'" had.   My children, though young, did the same with clothes and toys. We always seem to want what we don't have.

A number of events in the past week have caused me to think to myself, "are we ever satisfied"?  I was disheartened to hear a friend complain that her child was not acting the way she thought she should behave.  Life with children rarely falls into place, exactly as one hopes.  Most of us are lucky if we make it through the day having cleaned the house, showered, and cooked a meal.  For those of us fortunate enough to stay home with our children, we should cherish every moment with them, even the terrible moments.  Time with our children should not be looked back upon in regret.


North Carolina is a beautiful state.  I love the diversity of the landscape and the friendliness of the people.   We have truly enjoyed living life, in our small southern town.  This week, my dearest friend came for a visit.  Her visit made me realize that I was very quick to pick up and move to perceived greener pastures.  Unfortunately, I did not check out the landscape.  While I live in a lovely place, it does not always have the warm feeling of home.  My friend's visit made me realize just how much I miss the important people I left behind.

Many years ago, I belonged to a club called "Bloom Where You Are Planted".  Even though the patch of earth that I landed on in NC, isn't quite as green as I hoped, I still intend to flourish.  God has many good things in store for myself and my family.  My dreams of being united with a brother I never knew are gone, but I have found loving friends.  We may not have family here in NC,  but we have a supportive church family.   Lastly, but most importantly,  God has shown me that I do not need to continue seeking greener pastures.  In His loving care, He will provide all the we need.  He is our Strength and our Provider.

"As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes."
Psalms 103:15

No comments:

Post a Comment